The American Association of State Counseling Boards (AASCB) is dedicated to the concept that individuals who have demonstrated competence to render counseling services are entitled to be licensed, certified, or registered as counselors by its member boards.
AASCB collects, interprets, and disseminates information on legal and regulatory matters, and works to further cooperation among individuals and associations involved in providing counseling services to the public. Furthermore, AASCB publishes materials for training programs and member boards.
Mission AND VISION
AASCB promotes regulatory excellence in the counseling profession by providing leadership, education, and service to our Member Boards.
As the national organization for counseling licensure regulatory matters, AASCB strives to achieve a world where the counseling profession is recognized as a central change agent for mental health and wellness, enabling all people to achieve wellness and reach their full potential.
The purposes of the Association include:
- To facilitate communication among its Member Boards and provide a forum for the exchange of information and ideas among Member Boards concerning licensing, registration and certification of counselors.
- To encourage and aid collaborative efforts among Member Boards in developing standards and procedures for the regulation of counselors toward the goal of simplifying and standardizing the licensure process.
- To represent the opinions of the Member Boards in serving to protect the public in those matters related to the rendering of counseling services. Such opinions may be represented to other counseling organizations; to legislative, judicial, regulatory or executive governmental bodies; and to other groups and associations whose areas of interest may coincide with those of Member Boards.
- To provide assistance to Member Boards in fulfilling statutory, professional, public and ethical obligations in regulation.
- To engage in and encourage research in matters related to regulation.
- To engage in any activities related to its purpose deemed appropriate by the Delegate Assembly of the Association.